We are excited to introduce a new feature on our redesigned website: the WHSConnect Blog! We hope to utilize this tool to communicate what's happening in our school in regards to digital learning and technology. We'll write informational pieces, reviews of hardware and software and showcase teachers and students who are using digital learning to enhance their teaching and learning. Our first post is a Faculty Spotlight on Ms. Alison Sardonini, biology teacher, by Nina DiCarlo '18. Thanks for reading, and be sure to subscribe so you can stay up-to-date on all our writing!
1. What is your go-to digital learning tool in your classes? Why do use this tool and not another one?
Quizlet and Engrade together are my best tools. Both allows students to take responsibility for their own learning, in a way that can be monitored by me as well.
2. How do your students typically respond to your use of it?
100% of students either find it helpful or don't use it. 75% of my students use it and the other 25% of my student who dont use it, it reflects very well .
3. In your own opinion, how you seen tech/digital learning change in your time at WHS?
When I started here, I was new along with the BYOD program, and it has come a long way. I think that having the internet as an everyday resource in the classroom is awesome!
4. How have digital learning tools enhanced your practice?
It has enhanced all of it. It opens opportunities for all of us. We wouldn't have this as an amzing tool to help us learn. It lets us learn in the class as well as it is helping us help ourselves with practice on technology.
5. What goals do you have for using digital learning tools in the future?
I would like younger students to be taught to organize their digital lives because a lot of students have things such as their google drive which is all over the place. It is filled with random documents and makes things so hard to find. It is not organized and we don't seem to be looking at the organization factor of it all. I also hope to one day become paperless, that would be cool.
6. What do you find difficult about BYOD in the school now?
I find it very difficult dealing with the diversity of devices. It makes it harder to help students because all their devices differ. The same goes for charging devices. All different devices have all different charger which means that we can't all charge our devices in school it was to die. Also, There needs to be a department of extra devices. Due to the diversity of devices, if someone's device was to die and they don't have their charger, they now have no device for the rest of the day.
7. Do you feel that over time, using digital learning has become easier for you?
Yes. Anything and everything becomes easier over time. You get to practice with it everyday and discover new things!
8. How has it benefited you in the classroom as well as outside the classroom?
It benefits me because I have a wider range of resources from them which i can also work with at home easily. It is all on my laptop so it makes it easy to work at home or in school.
9. Are you looking to implement for uses of digital learning than you are currently using?
Yes, I think that i would like to bring most assignments online. I would like to go paperless, but it would be very hard for a lot of reasons and difficulties that we still have with the BYOD.